era Ghazi Khan is a city located in Dera Ghazi Khan District, Punjab, Pakistan. Dera Ghazi Khan is one of the most populous cities in Southern Punjab, and it is the largest district in Punjab in terms of area, being approximately 5,306 square miles (13,740 km2) in extent.
The city was founded at the close of the 15th century and named after Nawab Ghazi Khan Mirrani, son of Nawab Haji Khan Mirrani, a Balochi chieftain, who had declared independence from the Langhi Dynasty Sultans of Multan. Together with two other Deras i.e. settlements, Dera Ismail Khan and Dera Fateh Khan, it gave its name to Derajat. Derajat eventually came into the possession of the British after the Sikh War in 1849 and was divided into two districts: Dera Ghazi Khan and Dera Ismail Khan. After the partition of India, many of the city's Hindu residents settled in Derawal Nagar colony of Delhi, India. The district of Rajanpur was later carved out of the Dera Ghazi Khan district. Some of them also settled in various part of India, including Bhiwani, Delhi, Jhansi, Ranchi, Ambala and Haridwar. DG Khan was most famous seat of Krishna (Hindu avatar of Vishnu) worship , in north west British India ,where lord Krishn ji were fondly referred as "Thakur Gosain" by devotees. After the partition of British India, the Krishns Moorat was shifted to a new temple at Railway road, in Gurgaon, a suburb of Delhi.
Dera Ghazi Khan was founded in 15th century by Amar a Tribal Sardar of Mirani tribe. The old city of Dera Ghazi Khan was situated at the distance of 10 miles (16 km) towards east of the present city. In 1908, the old city was destroyed due to flash floods from heavy rains overflowing the River Indus. The present city was established in 1910. The city is divided into different blocks. The British Raj established colonial system in the continent and declared Dera Ghazi Khan as district in the year 1849. General Courtland was appointed as first Deputy Commissioner of this District. Keeping in view the rapidly increasing population of the area and deteriorating law and order situation district Dera Ghazi Khan was divided in two districts i.e. Dera Ghazi Khan and Rajanpur. Presently there are two revenue sub division of the District.
Dera Ghazi Khan city is situated on the western bank of the Indus river. It was founded by a Balouch ruler, Nawab Haji Khan Mirrani, also called Mirani Balouch, in 1476; he named the town after his son Ghazi Khan Mirrani.Their close allies were Changwani and khetran tribes In those days, game abounded near Dera Ghazi Khan and the fields were green. It was known as "Dera Phoolan Da Sehra" due to plenty of gardens and kastori canal, supplied by the Indus river.and tehsil tounsa shreef is very famous in district D.G khan.
In 1909-10, this cradle of Mirrani civilisation was inundated by the Indus. At that time, there was a population of about 23,731. The present town was built 10 miles (16 km) from the old town. It was laid out on a grid pattern comprising 66 blocks with wide long roads and streets. Two open spaces were planned in each block for social gatherings. Some of these have been encroached upon.
The population of the new developed town in 1911 was 18,446. This 2.22% decrease of population was due to dislocation of population after the destruction of the previous settlement.
In the year 1913, the Municipal Committee came in to existence. At that time, the area of the town was very small. Physical growth continued and now the area was about 4 square miles (10 km2). The major growth of the town has taken place since 1947. The town has largely spread to the north and south; it could not expand to the west due to the danger of flooding torrents such as affected the town in 1955. However, growth has also taken place in the eastern side. Almost all of the new developments in north and east of the planned town are haphazardly built.
The development in the town from 1947 to 1958 remained slow, due to lack of transportation and communication facilities. Only a boat bridge on the river Indus in winter season and steamer service for summer season linked Dera Ghazi Khan with the rest of the Punjab. Taunsa Barrage on river Indus was completed in 1953 and the pace of development gained momentum. During the last 5 years, 72 industrial units were established. Ghazi Textile mills is another attempt to establish a heavy industrial complex in order to raise the economic base of the town.
Siraiki is the main spoken language in cities and towns. But in rural areas, balochi is spoken as well. Almost 20% of city population speak Urdu.
As well as being district capital - Dera Ghazi Khan is also the capital of Dera Ghazi Khan Tehsil, an administrative subdivision of the district. The city of Dera Ghazi Khan is itself administratively subdivided into seven Union Councils.Lund, Khosa , leghari,Qaisrani,Buzdar,and Mirani tribes are politically active in this region.large. Contents
HISTORICAL AND INTERESTING PLACES
TOMB OF HAZARAT SAKHI SARWAR
Tomb of Hazarat Sakhi Sarwar was built in the 13th century in Sulaman mountain, 35 km from Dera Ghazi Khan city. This is presently in a small village named Muqam. Thousands of people from all over subcontinent come here on the Annual Celebrations of Birth of Sakhi Sarwar in March every year. It is a unique building of Mughal architecture.
TOMB OF GHAZI KHAN
The Tomb of Ghazi Khan was built in the beginning of 15th century. This seems like the tomb of Shah Rukn-e-Alam in Multan. This is present in the Mulla Qaid Shah Graveyard. Its main gate is from eastern side and two small doors are in side of north and south. In it there are 11 graves, which are of the family of Ghazi Khan. Every side of the tomb is 13 feet (4.0 m) and 3 inches (76 mm) from inner side and which are conical minarets from out side. Its circular distance from the earth is 17 feet (5.2 m) and half. The half diameter of the conical minarets remains 34 inches (860 mm) on the highest of 19 feet (5.8 m). There are 28 ladders from northern side in the internal side. The Graveyard came into being due to the tomb of Ghazi Khan. This is the oldest building of the city Dera Ghazi Khan.
In front of central jail there is a unique church yard which is situated in the walls on its four sides. This church yard could not spread because of minority of the Christian in the local area. This was came into being in the year 1910.
SHAH BAGH MOSQUE
After the destruction of the old Dera Ghazi Khan when the people of Dera Ghazi Khan shifted in the new city, this was the first Mosque where they performed their first Jumma Namaz. It is in the Block No. 7. In the city people performed their first Jumma Namaz behind the Mutawali of the Mosque named Syed Bagh Ali Shah. So it named after the Imam of that time.
This is the biggest Masjid of the city. Which was constructed in year 1916. There is a large pool in the Masjid which is used for making ablution. It has a big hall whose length is 100 feet (30 m) and width is 45 feet (14 m), in which 3,000 persons can say their prayer at one time. Its courtyard is also wide in which 10,000 men can say their prayer. The minarets of the Masjid are 85 feet (26 m) high in which there are 100 ladders.
Fort Munro is a hill station in Dera Ghazi Khan which lies on the Quetta Road at 85 km from Dera Ghazi Khan city in the Sulaiman Mountains Range. Its altitude is 1800 meters (6,470 feet) above sea level and attracts many people for short stays during the summer. It is also a good picnic point. Many school trips and families use to go for recreation. Families from south punjab cities like Multan, Muzzafar garh, Rajan pur, Jampur Layyah, Taunsa, Kot addu, Lodhran, Bahawalpur and Kot Mithan make trips to this beautiful hill station during summer. In summer when temrature reaches 48 degree in south Punjab, people rush to this cold place where temperature remains 20 degree in summer.
Taunsa Barrage is situated in the northern side of the city Dera Ghazi Khan at the distance of 60 km. It is worth seeing place. It is also a good picnic point. Many school trips and families use to go for recreation.